Jesse Broocker is a Partner in the Medical Malpractice Defense Practice at Weathington, LLC.
Jesse Broocker combines top-tier legal training with an exemplary commitment to client concerns.
Jesse’s practice focuses in its entirety on the representation of and advocacy for healthcare providers. From the individual clinician to major health systems, Jesse has extensive (and successful) experience in an array of health law settings – from non-litigation matters including Board claims and regulatory compliance, to appellate advocacy, to litigation, arbitration, motions practice, and trial defense at both the State and Federal level. Significant representative experience includes:
- Lead role on primary outside litigation counsel team for one of the largest ED staffing contractors in the nation;
- Lead role on primary outside litigation counsel team for one of the largest orthopedic practices in Georgia;
- Extensive representative experience in both the medical malpractice and premises liability practice areas for three of the largest hospital/health systems serving both Atlanta and the State of Georgia; and
- Defense and representation of individual clinicians (including ED, primary care, orthopedic, and pain management specialists) in Georgia Composite Medical Board investigations and State AG Office investigations/complaints.
Jesse brings to his representation of physicians and other medical providers a motivation that is personal: A number of his own family members are active or retired medical professionals, including his father who was Chief of Service of Ophthalmology at Grady Memorial Hospital for over twenty years, his father-in-law who is an orthopedic surgeon, his mother-in-law who is a dermatologist, an uncle who is OB/GYN, and his brother-in-law who is in a gastroenterologist/hepatologist.
Jesse is a “double Eagle” – graduating from Emory University and Emory University Law School with honors. While at Emory, Jesse was an Articles Editor for Emory Law Review. While Jesse always had designs on medical malpractice defense for his practice, his zeal for defending providers first began in an intensive advanced trial training program at Emory where he achieved a full defense verdict as sole counsel in a medical malpractice action in front of a sitting DeKalb County judge and a live jury. For the first four years of his practice, Jesse practiced law with a leading AMLAW 100 law firm in Atlanta, Georgia in the firm’s litigation and trial practice and products liability groups. As an associate with that respected law firm, Jesse gained experience in white collar defense work (both criminal and civil), health care litigation, insurance defense, class action defense, and products liability defense. Jesse also has a background in the real estate litigation practice area.
- Medical Malpractice
- Products Liability
- Commercial Litigation
Bar & court admissions
- Georgia Court of Appeals
- Supreme Court of Georgia
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia
- Emory University School of Law, J.D. (With Honors), 2008
- Emory University, B.A. (Dean’s List), 2005
- Georgia Bar Association, member
- Resurgens Orthopaedics, featured speaker, 2017
- Georgia Society of Healthcare Risk Management (GSHRM), member
- ED Legal Letter, quoted as expert in many past issues including 2019
- Daily Report, published article, 3/2018
- Emory GI Fellows, featured speaker, 2018
- WellStar Residents, featured speaker, 2019
- Emory University School of Law, featured speaker, 2018 – 2020
- Defense of physicians, nurses, and other medical providers at two Atlanta-based hospitals
- Defense of orthopedic surgeons at Atlanta-based orthopedic group
- Extensive defense of emergency medicine physicians practicing throughout Georgia
- Defense of physicians and nurses in a variety of other specialties including general surgery, spine surgery, obstetrics and gynecological surgery, anesthesiology, cardiology, critical care, gastroenterology, pediatrics, neurology, and more
- Appellate counsel for numerous defense clients with several published appellate decisions
- Represented physicians and other healthcare providers in peer-review proceedings and in hearings before the Composite State Board of Medical Examiner