Paul Weathington is a Founding Partner and Senior Partner of the Medical Malpractice Defense Practice at Weathington, LLC.
For the past thirty years, Paul has specialized in trial practice, principally defending physicians and hospitals in medical malpractice cases but has also litigated corporate and commercial matters. He has successfully tried over 100 jury trials as lead counsel.
He has been named as a Georgia Super Lawyer every year consecutively since 2009 and Georgia’s Top 100 list on multiple occasions. He was also inducted into the American College of Trial Lawyers in October 2013 (less than 1% of attorneys). Paul is Board Certified by the American Board of Professional Liability Attorneys (ABPLA) in the complex field of medical professional negligence.
Upon graduation from law school, Paul was an Associate with Troutman, Sanders. Thereafter, he took an Associate position at Schreeder, Wheeler and Flint. He returned to his hometown of Carrollton, Georgia to practice at the firm of Tisinger, Vance where he was elected partner. Paul joined an Atlanta firm with a specialty emphasis in medical malpractice defense, which eventually became known as Allen & Weathington. He practiced there until March of 2005 when he formed Weathington, LLC.
Paul Weathington grew up in Carrollton, Georgia where he graduated from Central Carrolton High School. He attended the University of West Georgia on a full debating scholarship where he distinguished himself with many team and individual national debating honors. Socially, he was commander of Sigma Nu fraternity for two terms and was named Sigma Nu National Man of the Year. Paul attended the University of Georgia School of Law where he was elected to the editorial board of the Georgia Law Review. He graduated Cum Laude.
Paul is married to the former Molly Lee and they have two children, Paul Jr. and Katherine. He has five children from a prior marriage. He is active at Peachtree Road United Methodist Church where he was previously on the administrative board and serves as an usher captain.
- Medical Malpractice Defense
- Product Liability Defense
- Medical Staff Issues for Hospitals and Physicians
- Commercial and Business Related Litigation
Bar & court admissions
- Georgia, 1984
- University of Georgia, J.D., Cum Laude, 1984
- University of West Georgia, B.S., Cum Laude, 1981
- State Bar of Georgia, member
- American College of Trial Lawyers, Fellow
- Council on Litigation Management, member
- Georgia Society for Healthcare Risk Management, member
- Georgia Academy of Healthcare Attorneys, member
- Georgia Defense Lawyers Association, member
- American Board of Trial Advocates, member
- Board Certification by the American Board of Professional Liability Attorneys (ABPLA) in the complex field of medical professional negligence
- Peachtree Road UMC, Usher Captain
- Atlanta Spine Society, featured speaker (2017)
- Georgia ObGyn Society, featured speaker (2017)
- Touchdown Club of Atlanta, Board Member
- ICLE, State Bar of Georgia, Medical Malpractice Liability Institute, Co-Chair (2008-2016)
- Georgia Academy of Healthcare Attorneys, featured speaker (2018)
- TDC, featured speaker (2020) “Discoverability of Texts and Emails”
- Fellow, American College of Trial Lawyers (Inducted 2013)
- Super Lawyers®, Top 100 Lawyers in Georgia (2015, 2017, 2018)
- Super Lawyers®, Georgia Super Lawyer, Professional Medical Malpractice Defense (2009 – present)
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV Preeminent rated (2005 – present)
- Georgia Trend, Legal Elite (2016, 2017, 2018)
- The Best Lawyers in America®, Personal Injury Litigation – Defendants (2018)
- The Best Lawyers in America®, Medical Malpractice Law Defendants & Product Liability Litigation Defendants (2016 – 2021)
- ALM / The Daily Report – “Distinguished Leader Award”, (2018)
- Lead counsel in over 100 jury trials ranging from medical malpractice defense, product liability defense, commercial litigation, and medical staff and hospital defense.
- Defended neurosurgeon in Fulton Superior Court. Plaintiffs alleged negligence in lumbar spinal surgery and requested upward of $5 million in damages. Jury entered a defense verdict in favor of both the operating neurosurgeon and the practice.
- Defended a hand surgeon in an elbow surgery case. Plaintiffs alleged the surgeon cut the nerve causing permanent clawing of the hand and requested $6,000,000 alleging their client, a dentist, had been rendered disabled as a result of the surgery. After a 6 day trial in Fulton State Court, the jury deliberated only 1 1/2 hours before rendering a defense verdict.
- Defended orthopaedic spine surgeon in case where plaintiff alleged a pedicle screw was impinging upon a nerve root requiring a re-do surgery as well as ongoing severe pain that prevented him from working. Defense verdict.
- Won Oral Argument in front of Georgia Supreme Court to preserve a favorable jury verdict obtained by the Firm three years earlier. Video: S16G1214
- Defended pulmonologist in a two week jury trial in Muscogee County. The case involved respiratory distress complications following neck surgery, resulting in brain damage and blindness. The jury rendered a defense verdict for the pulmonologist defendant yet found in favor of the plaintiff for $26 million dollars for the conduct of the hospital co-defendant and it’s employee.